High Dynamic Range Photography

High dynamic range (HDR) images enable photographers to record a greater range of tonal detail than a given camera could capture in a single photo. This opens up a whole new set of lighting possibilities which one might have previously avoided—for purely technical reasons.

When to use HDR images?

Use HDR images when the scene's brightness distribution can no longer be easily blended using a graduated neutral density (GND) filter. This is because GND filters extend dynamic range while still maintaining local contrast. Scenes which are ideally suited for GND filters are those with simple lighting geometries, such as the linear blend from dark to light encountered commonly in landscape photography (corresponding to the relatively dark land transitioning into bright sky).

HDR Photography Samples

I scoured the internet in search for some of the best HDR images indexed. Below are a few of my favorites.


Shiny red beetle.



Sound asleep


Breaking dawn



Sunrise at the beach


First Bloom


Which do you like best? My personal favorite is the cat, reminds me of my feline friend, sam-sam.

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'm hungry for your thoughts. Tell me what you think... ;P