Weddings and Photography

What I don't like in some wedding photographers is when they capture a synchronized and laid-out pseudo-moment instead of actually capturing the candid and real ones. I got those same pictures for my debut, my pictures were downright bland and you could tell that I was acting for the camera. When I saw Kimberly's works, her style is not the usual type you'd normally see in wedding photos. They are usually full of life and love. She doesn't seem to capture only the scene the couples are portraying but she captures a moment, the real deal. Her photos are among the few that shares to the rest of us the feelings her subjects share for each other. Looking at her works gives you a fresh perspective in this branch of photography. She is among the artists, I have been dying to know more about and now that she has sent me back her answers, I hope you'd enjoy this post.



Tell us a bit about yourself?

Well, I am Kimberly Hurst of Kimberly Hurst, Inc. I am a wedding photographer based out of Long Island, NY. I love shooting local weddings including Manhattan and Brooklyn, but enjoy shooting destination weddings around the country.

When did you start taking photos?

I started taking photos in high school. But photography has always been a part of my life. My father was my first mentor, and he worked in a small camera shop here on Long Island. I remember as a little kid wandering the aisles of the shop, seeing all the pretty shiny cameras and equipment. I think it’s why to this day, I love collecting vintage cameras.

What camera are you using?

Right now, I rock the Nikon D300. I love my camera so so much. But it’s not to say I don’t lust after the D700. I hope to upgrade some time next year.

Can you share to us what is a normal day for you?

A normal day is much like anyone else’s normal day. I wake up with the aide of coffee, and get to tackling the day at hand. I love making to-do lists!

What was your first photo that made you go WOW!?

That would be a photograph I took when I was still in high school. For me, the moment when everything clicked, was during a field trip my class took to Central Park. Our teacher let us walk around photographing the park, and I ended up wandering over to the Alice In Wonderland sculpture. If you know Central Park, you know this sculpture. There was this beautiful blond-haired girl playing and climbing on the sculpture. At one point she sat on Alice’s lap and looked at me. I put my camera to my face and snapped one photo. At that time there was no LCD display, but I KNEW. I KNEW I captured a moment, something special. I developed the film, ran a test print and was awed by what came out of my camera. It was Madonna and Child. It was ethereal. It was a true portrait. It told a story, it gave emotion. I was hooked from that moment on.

What is your favorite photo, either your own or someone else's or both? Describe its creation or meaning to you?

A recent favorite photo of mine was from an engagement shoot. I met up with the bride and groom and we wandered around a local park. At one point, I asked if they were willing to go stand in this fountain, and they were! I asked them to snuggle close, I asked the groom to lean in for a kiss and out of habit the bride lifted herself up on her tippy-toes to receive his kiss. It made me smile immediately. It’s photos like this where the light is beautiful and the couple allows the camera to capture them as themselves where a portrait is successful.

What are the biggest personal or professional challenges you face on a daily basis?

I wouldn’t say I have incredible challenges, but I always strive to learn and grow and perfect my craft. I love taking workshops and enjoy challenging myself to improve. I don’t think an artist should ever feel like they’ve achieved all that they can. There’s always room to grow!

Do you ever have photographer's block and if yes how do you deal with it?

I am always taking photos. One year ago, I completed a project where I took one photo, every single day, for one year. And I can say it truly helped me see beauty in the every day. If you are suffering some kind of block, giving yourself a project such as this can really help you hone your skills. I think as photographers we can never be shooting enough. If you shoot a lot, always have your camera on you, and push yourself to take a great picture, those moments of creative block are fewer and farther between.

How do you describe your photographic style?

I am a sensory person. I always like to say my photography is like fresh baked bread and cupcakes.

Who or what would you love to shoot that you haven't already?

My husband and I honeymooned in Greece. I would love to go back one day and photographer a wedding on Santorini.

How do you feel about digital manipulation and to what extent do you utilize it?

As someone who shot film before shooting digital, I can say that there was just as much manipulation available to a photographer back in the film days as there is now with Photoshop and Lightroom. I don’t mind when photographers use the tools available to them to create their imagery. It’s about having a vision, a style, and whatever you use to get there is fine.

On a photography career, what advice can you give to others especially to all those young and aspiring photographers?

Shoot! And shoot some more! You must know your camera inside and out. You have to be able to shoot manually and not rely on your camera to tell you how to expose your photo or how to balance your light. There is so much technology available today, that anyone with a Rebel thinks they can be a photographer. A true professional can assess a mixed light, backlit, tricky situation and know how to handle it. And that comes with practice. So, shoot all the time. Start to understand light and how to control it in your camera. And after you’ve mastered that, learn the business of photography. As a former art student, I can say this was the hardest part. But you must become aware of marketing, customer service, pricing, contracts, and so on. It’s a lot to learn, but if you are truly passionate about the job, it’s a joyful and exciting time.

Do you have any other thoughts to share?

Just to say thanks!

-------------------------------------

Please visit her site at www.kimberlyhurst.com and know more about her through her blog www.kimberlyhurst.com/blog

Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

everyone can capture "moments" specially if you have a tool. But for me, captured moments supposedly entails life.. a captured moment with life.. I am very impressed with Kimberly's work. An artist output.Truly, though everyone can capture, but not many are having the gift. I will surely visit her site. Thanks for sharing.

James said...

I really like the way she captures those precious moments in a persons life. She knows when to take pictures at the right moment and is very good in playing with the lights, angles and the environment.

Anonymous said...

i do believe that candid pictures speaks the most as it captures the reality of every moment. her style is cool and i guess she'll be there on the day of my own wedding. :)

JUGAR

Anonymous said...

WOW! the interview was quite smooth. It makes me drool more into photography. As a blogger, I guess, having my own captures in my camera is definitely a must! Hehehe... so everything is original coming from us!
Steal shots makes the photos moments! When you click the camera, it becomes a photo!

Anonymous said...

I have to say I am blown away with Kimberly's work. After looking at her stuff, I feel like I have gotten to personally know every bride and groom she has photographed. I love the way she uses light and is able to capture the emotion between the couples.

Icymar "Iceman" Tagimacruz said...

I can feel the emotions... wow..

Iceman...

Tech Cloud Ltd said...

Wow such an amazing wedding captured. Both the bride and the groom looking very stunning. Very professional captured and editing I must say. I’m also working with different image post production platform for the image editing work. Thanks for sharing such nice photos please keep sharing more. image post production

Cut Out Way said...


Wow, pretty cool tips. I really appreciate your post. I definitely visit this blog again
Clipping Image Photoshop

Post a Comment

I'm hungry for your thoughts. Tell me what you think... ;P